Ola Lovelies! This week I thought it would be fun to do another review of some of my favorite books - of the self-help variety + one more! So here goes . . .
1. YOU are a BADASS (How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life) by Jen Sincero - Some of you may know that despite my chosen profession (Life Coach!), I have a bit of an allergy to self-help books. I know, I know it makes very little sense! The ones I have had the most success with though (i.e. actually finished!) are ones that appeal to my sense of humor. This is definitely one of those! Lots of great information about overcoming fears, keeping negativity at bay, meditation (yup!), and loving yourself. I started it in May and just finished it this week. And despite how long it took me - I really enjoyed it!
2. Ask and it is Given (Learning to Manifest Your Desires) by Esther & Jerry Hicks - This may have been the first self-help book I ever purchased . . . probably in 2007? It is pretty woo-y! And it is on the list of recommended reading at the end of You are a BADASS . . . which reminded me that there really were some good nuggets in there. (Jen Sincero hilariously says of the book, "The Freak Factor is super high: The co-author Esther Hicks was your average housewife until she started channeling this spirit named Abraham . . .") The one thing I have held onto over all these years was the Emotional Guidance Scale, and that being Angry has a higher vibration than being Afraid or Depressed. For whatever reason that really resonated for me as I was heading into divorce. If you can power through the woo - it's got some great information.
3. Raise Your Vibration (111 Practices to Increase Your Spiritual Connection) by Kyle Gray - I first heard Kyle Gray on Danielle LaPorte & Linda Sivertsen's "Big Beautiful Writer's" podcast. He's young. He's hip. He's a Yogini. And he communicates with Angels. So there you have it. As you might gather from the title, this book gives you 111 ways to raise your spiritual vibration - can't beat that! I think the only thing that I found disappointing in this book is that it is a set of daily exercises. I was so eager to just blow through the whole thing and then I realized it was more of a "one day at a time" practice. I got over myself and made it most of the way through. :)
4. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan - Whenever my friends ask if I've read a good book lately, this is without fail the one I recommend. (Even though it's been a few years since I read it.) It's a great mix of mystery, technology, a quirky bookshop & an even quirkier owner, and puzzles . . . I loved it! If you're in the market for something that's not self-help . . . this is one of my favorites.
5. E-Squared (Nine Do-It-Yourself Energy Experiments That Prove Your Thoughts Create Your Reality) by Pam Grout - You didn't think I'd do a book review and not include something by Pam Grout did you? (#pamgroutfangirl). Again I struggled with wanting to just read through the whole book all at once (while on vacation - which I did), but I've gone back and done at least 1/2 of the experiments and had some pretty amazing experiences. If you're curious at all about this type of work - it's a great read & the exercises (or party-games as she calls them in her other book) are eye-opening!
And there you have it! Today was payday and I did a little Amazon book shopping . . . I foresee another Book Review coming before the end of the year.
In the meantime - Happy Reading!
Schedule your complimentary discovery session here.
Want to escape with me to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico next Spring for
four days of photography and personal development?
Sign up for our newsletter (below!) and be the first to get all the details . . .
Meet me here on Saturdays for some weekly vibes - honoring the week that has past, and clearing the way for what's new. Gather your journal and favorite pen, along with a hot cup of coffee/tea/chai - and settle in for 30 minutes dedicated to YOU.
I'm in the top 100 Life Coach Blogs!
Follow me on Pinterest!